Wednesday, October 6, 2010

The Rise and Fall of the GENTLEman


At a highschool volleyball game, I recently struggled into the building with bags on one shoulder and my very heavy 20month old son on my hip. No one opened the door for me, though very capable young men were there to do it. Then as I stepped foot into the hall way, there was water on the floor where the band members were having a water fight. I was in flip-flops and the second my cute little flops met the dirty water on the floor, my feet slipped out from under me. I landed on top of my son. Praise God we were okay. It was definitely not my most graceful moment. None of the boys came to help me up. They just stopped for a moment and stared then went on with their games. One little girl shyly helped this embarrassed, upset, scared mom off the floor. She gathered the contents of my bags and helped me up. I was so saddened my the lack of concern these young boys had for me and my child. Where is the GENTLEman?

In my grief over the rise and fall of the GENTLEman, I remembered a scenario of just the opposite. On my way into McDonald's with my flock of little chicks and all their stuff, a young highschool boy waited for me to get to the door. He opened the door and smiled very graciously to me. I almost cried that he was so considerate and attentive to this momma who definitely needed help dragging my crew to the much anticipated play date. I found him with all his friends and told him how proud his mother would have been.

The following poem was written after much pondering. How could I impact the raising of my children to be considerate, compassionate and compelled to assist one in need.


THE RISE AND FALL OF THE GENTLEMAN
The rise and fall of a GENTLEman
Often lies in the woman's hand.
As a little boy, this "little man"
Was taught by his mother to extend his hand.
In his heart he knew this was right
To be gentle even though he was strong with might.
As he grew, so did his heart to serve
In him a desire to be needed by a "little her".
This "GENTLEman" in the making
Offered to open the door,
To pullout a seat,
But this "little her" was determined
I don't need your help like women before.
In this simple rejection
The "GENTLEman" was defeated.
"Little her" is it worth, "I can do it myself"?
To have a generation of GENTLEmen left in the sand
Of "No thanks I'd rather stand".
So, mother of a "little man" and
Mother of a "little her"
Teach them the gift to serve
And the blessing of being served.
There once was a teacher
You may have heard.
He went out of His way
His followers thought it absurd!
There was a "little her" who sat at a well
The life she was living was sinful hell.
He told her of living water and offered her a drink
Her thirst so unforgettable,
This drink was it a welcomed truth or just a fable?
This "little her" could have said, "No thanks, I enjoy the alone"
But instead she said, "I will drink and take this message home."
A life changed, greatly impacted
By a GENTLEman who acted.
A simple gesture of opening a door
Or choosing the lesser seat on the floor
Tells a "little her" that she is precious and adored
Not by just a stranger but by the LORD!

5 comments:

Amy Tilt said...

Hi Stacy, I love to read your blog! It is so encouraging. Check out my blog sometime. I love your poetry.
Amy Tilt

tommydow said...

Beautifull poem Stacy. It says so much about the mothers and grandmothers of this world. My mother and grandmother taught me manners. When I was thirteen, during hurricane Betsy, we stayed in Boxelder, Tx till Plaquemines Parish was rebuilt. MaNeal and her sister Auntie, used to show Charlie and I off to the members of New Salem Baptist Church. Our manners were impeccable and MaNeal and Auntie would beam with pride as they got compliments from the other ladies in the Church. To this day, the great ladies in my life, are still giving through me by what they taught me.

Unknown said...

The poem is really well put Stacy!

Jennifer Kindle said...

Hey, girl. This is so perfect. It really is our responsibility to teach these little men to be gentle. Hope you are well. Think about you and pray for you often. How are all the ministry plans going? Email me.

Jeni said...

That is so beautiful! I am always being touched by the kind acts of chivalry - especially in the city on the subway. I well up inside when I see it and put good thoughts out to the person who gave their good seat. I love your poem.
I never miss a good deed and alwasy give a sincere Thank You - I say it like I mean it so they get the message that it was appreciated!
thank you for this beautiful post :)!
xoxo